NBG awards success
Published: 02 February, 2010
MANCHESTER: ToolBank, Lafarge Cement, and Donaldson Timber received supplier of the year awards at the NBG gala last week.
Allan Durning, NBG chairman, speaking at the awards said: "Let's hope that the New Year brings an improvement in trading environment.
"Housing sales are on the up, mortgage approvals are on the up, housebuilders' stocks are rising again. The housebuilding market is making confident statements, the FTSE is doing well, the snow has gone, and the banks are paying big bonuses again."
Mr Durning highlighted the group's change to a category management structure, which he said went through with "full partner approval.
"NBG has three sections, divided into nine categories, with a clear structure and succession plan.
"We mean business with this and the response and behavioural change from suppliers has been encouraging."
Deal compliance will be the key to NBG's success, Mr Durning said. "Too often, the independent sector has been criticised for not doing what it says it will do. We have 77 members and 254 locations throughout the UK. We need to think and act like a national."
The supplier of the year awards were:
- Lightside: Winner ToolBank; runner-up Hunter Plastics.
- Heavyside: Winner: Lafarge Cement, runner up: Hanson Building Products.
- Timber: Winner: Donaldson Timber, runner-up Southern Timber.
- Marketing Initiative: Winner: Lafarge Cement, runner-up: Superglass Insulation.
- Environmental: Winner: Lafarge Cement, runner-up: Klargester.
- Supplier of the Year: Winner: Lafarge Cement, runner-up: Hunter Plastics.