Detection is key to preventing carbon monoxide.
PTS joins forces to stop 'silent killer'
Published: 25 November, 2010
SUNDERLAND: They call it the silent killer, and in the UK, around 50 people lose their lives to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning every year.
But now appliance repair company 0800 Repair, is helping up to five hundred local people beat the menace of carbon monoxide, by giving them free detectors when they have their gas appliances serviced.
The company has linked up with the Sunderland branch of national company Plumbing Trade Supplies (PTS) for the safety awareness campaign.
John Savage, business development manager of PTS in the North East said: “We’re delighted to help 0800 Repair promote carbon monoxide safety – the safety of customers is always paramount.”
Phil Pallister, managing director of 0800 Repair’s gas division said: “There have been many terrible tragedies where people have died in their own homes from carbon monoxide poisoning.
“Common sources of carbon monoxide poisioning include faulty central heating systems, gas appliances and fires. If appliances aren’t operating properly or if flues and chimneys get blocked and the fumes can't escape and are inhaled by people in the home, then this can lead to fatal consequences.
“We extended our appliance repair services to cover gas this summer, but as winter is drawing in we are keen to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide and the importance of having your gas boiler, cooker and fire serviced regularly.”
Starting this month, 0800 Repair is offering hundreds of free carbon monoxide detectors to customers who get their boiler serviced or checked by the company.