The BMF are looking for a person of a graduate calibre with Economics or Statistics training and knowledge to take on the role of Industry Analyst/Economist.
The Builders Merchants Federation (BMF) is the trade association that represents the interests and activities of independent and national UK Builders merchants and of leading building material manufacturers. Total membership at 1 January 2021 stands at 760 member companies who together have combined sales of £38bn and employ over 190,000 people in the building materials industry. BMF’s 397 merchant members operate from over 5,745 branches across the UK and Ireland.
We are looking for a person of a graduate calibre with Economics or Statistics training and knowledge to take on the role of Industry Analyst/Economist. The aim is to continue to raise BMF’s ability to report and comment on the performance of the building materials distribution industry in general and the merchant sector in particular. You will be responsible for developing the BMF’s market data services to members.
This is a full-time role reporting to the Membership Services Director. The position is based at our Coventry Head Office. You may also be required to attend meetings at our London office and other locations.
- Responsible for the forecast model and report – re-model the forecast when data is published and create subsequent quarterly forecast reports. Feedback findings to the Forecast Panel.
- Administer and enhance existing BMF Market data programmes:
- Monthly Sales Indicators Reports through the Phocas portal as well as annual subscription renewals.
- Annual Remuneration survey (including liaising with the Remuneration Survey Committee).
- Annual Key Performance Indicators Survey (including liaising with the Profits and costs committee) .
- Issue Quarterly state of trade survey and analyse results.
- Liaise with BMF’s third party market data service provider (GfK) to develop the Builders Merchants Building Index, Regional Builders Merchants Building Index and Plumbers Merchants Building Index.
- Produce monthly BMF Business E-News.
- Produce Weekly Economic Report.
- Circulate monthly Boiler stats and BEIS Construction Update.
- Prepare market share valuation of the builder’s merchants sector.
- Help prepare in depth analysis of specific trading areas e.g. Plumbing and Heating and Timber Sectors.
- Liaise with the BMF’s Policy & Public Affairs representative based in the London Office
- Send out mail shots to members promoting BMF activities when requested.
- Send out security alerts via mail shot to advise members of fraudulent activity when requested.
- Analyse sales data received from members to create a Key Summary Statistics document quarterly with the support of the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
Skills and Experience
- High level Economics or Statistics Degree or similar academic training.
- Experience in data/statistical analysis and some experience of setting up data analysis and usage processes.
- Competent in all Microsoft Office applications – particularly Microsoft Excel.
- Competent and methodical organiser and administrator with strong attention to detail
- Able to plan own workload priorities and work within deadlines.
- Good project and time management skills.
- Must be willing to travel and attend events around the UK.
- Ability to work within a team and independently.
- Ability to be self-sufficient in a fast-paced environment and be innovative.
- Have good English literacy, communication, and presentation skills.
- Able to communicate with people at all levels by phone, e-mail and in person.
- Have a ‘can do’ attitude and be willing to be flexible and help in a small team.
- General understanding of the building sector.
- It is likely that the successful candidate will live in easy commuting distance of our Coventry Head Office.
- Hold a current driving licence.
- This is a full-time position. Hours will be from 09.00 to 17.00 Monday to Friday with one hour lunch break but flexibility as to hours will be required in certain circumstances.
- Your primary place of work will be at the BMF Coventry Head Office at 1180 Elliott Court, Coventry Business Park, Canley, Coventry CV5 6UB.
- You may also need to travel to our London office, Second Floor, IOM3, 297 Euston Road, London NW1 3AD.
- Very occasional attendance at other venues, with possible overnight stays, may also be required.
- Salary is negotiable and dependent on relevant experience and qualifications – plus contributory pension.
- Holiday Entitlement – 23 days plus Bank Holidays.
In the first instance please send a covering letter and CV to email@example.com
Builders Merchants Federation Ltd
1180 Elliott Court
Coventry Business Park
02476 854984 or 07885 281883