Six crews from Greater Manchester and Cheshire attended the conflagration at the Woodford branch of Huws Gray in Stockport on Monday (08/02).

Photographs published online show the gutted roof of the showroom at the front of site, while the warehouse part of the yard located at the back appears to be mostly intact.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: "Firefighters were called to reports of a commercial property on fire in Moorland in Woodford, Stockport, at approximately 6.15pm, on Monday.

"Firefighters from Greater Manchester and Cheshire quickly arrived at the scene. Upon arrival fire crews found the building was well alight across two stories. Firefighters are using four jets and two aerial platforms to tackle the fire. 

"Residents in the area are being advised to keep windows and doors shut as a precaution due to smoke. Crews remain on the scene."

Incident Commander Pat Johnson said: “Firefighters have worked hard at the scene. The fire is now being brought under control using two aerial appliances and hand held jets.

“The public are advised to avoid the area for now and keep doors and windows shut. It is anticipated the fire service may be in attendance for a number of hours through the night."

The entrance to the site, showing the now demolished showroom in 2017 - image: Google Streetview.

Established in 1990, from a single branch in Anglesey, the Huws Gray Group, is now one of the largest independent builders' merchants in the UK, with over 100 branches across Wales, East Anglia and the North of England, including West and East Midlands, as well as two specialist roof truss manufacturing sites and a dedicated timber mill.

The group has recently embarked on an ambitious expansion drive but had acquired the stricken branch in 2016.

A statement on the Facebook page of the branch says: "Following a fire that occurred yesterday evening, our Woodford branch will be temporarily closed, whilst necessary repairs are being made.

"Thankfully, all employees had left the building. We are very grateful to the emergency services, who arrived promptly and brought the fire under control.

"We would also like to the thank the local residents for their co-operation during the incident."